Sunday, May 11, 2008

Thanks, Dave and Marilyn!

For the last 7-8 years on Sunday mornings, I have gone to the church of which I am a member and sat by myself during the worship service. But today, something different happened. Walking into church from the parking lot I met my friend, Dave Frucella, who is in the small group of guys I meet with twice a month. He said, "Come sit with Marilyn and me." So I did -- and to top it off, they invited me out to lunch afterwards!

To the best of my memory, this is the first time I've sat with friends at church during the 7-8 years I've been attending. (Okay, for argument's sake, let's assume it's happened once or twice before that I don't remember.) It's been a strange journey. Granted, it's a large church and not that easy to make friends, especially when you're single and my age. But I've been surprised after eight years that I can count on one hand the people there that I know.

We had a great lunch (their treat -- thanks again!) -- lots of talk about health, food, organic gardening (Dave and Marilyn have been organic gardeners before), and the state of the world. Forgot to grab my camera on the way out the door this morning so don't have a picture to share of the lovely Dave and Marilyn. But I'm very grateful for their friendly hospitality. It seemed awfully Christian of them. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment