Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Crazy for God

I'm reading Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer, son of L'Abri (Fr. "the shelter") founders Francis (1912-1984) and Edith (1914 - ) Schaeffer. Though still active today in several locations around the world, the original L'Abri in Switzerland reached its zenith in the 'Sixties and 'Seventies (founded in 1955) as a study center where spiritual seekers came from around the world in search of God and truth. Francis Schaeffer was a philosopher-theologian-apologist who would patiently listen to the questions of young people and provide answers that were both rational and biblical.

In his book, Frank Schaeffer speaks admiringly of his father's compassion with people (note the comment by Timothy Leary):

"Above all, Dad's sensitivity was disarming. Bishop Pike, the famous self-proclaimed [Episcopal] liberal minister and writer, told me that my father was one of the most compassionate men he ever debated. And after Timothy Leary had several long discussions with Dad, he said, 'If I though your father is typical of other Christians, I'd reconsider my position'" (pp. 78-79).

What an indictment. Here's another:

"My parents were always talking about this or that student who wrote back [to the Schaeffers at L'Abri] saying they couldn't find a 'good church.' Dad warned converts: 'Look for a good church. But I'm afraid you'll have a hard time finding one. There aren't many'" (p. 80).

No comments:

Post a Comment