Friday, May 16, 2008

Life on the Farm

The animal life in my suburban domain is limited to the annual expansion of the Canada goose population and daily lizard sitings (not to mention the ubiquitous squirrels and lovely birds). We take what we can get.

This goose family (at least, they look like the same goose family -- but looks can be deceiving when it comes to Canada geese) lives a hundred yards or so from my house around a small pond. They produce a brood of goslings every year. I took these pictures out of an upstairs window on the backside of my house. (The nearly one-acre field they are eating grass from would make an amazing neighborhood garden but the owner wasn't interested. He uses it to turn his semi-truck around.)

IMG_0369

IMG_1352

The parents are amazingly alert. Just raising the blinds at the window to take these pictures sent them immediately on their way, getting the young 'uns out of danger. ("Beware the humans with cameras!")

IMG_1354

I love watching the lizards around the front garden beds. Sometimes when I sit in the sun around noon to read for a few minutes, they come out on the front porch. This one was sunning on a warm brick when I returned from a bike ride:

IMG_0366

Not sure what happened to the color/clarity of the top two geese pictures. They were taken with the (supposedly) better of my two cameras. Maybe it's not the better?

No comments:

Post a Comment