Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Friends and Food

For the last year, four of us have been meeting twice a month to "get into each other's stuff" -- spiritual life, job/work, family matters -- looking to apply biblical principles to the never-ending stream of challenges. The last two meetings have been at my house over supper -- fresh veggie juice and salads last time; veggie juice, chips and salsa, and veggie burritos this week.

IMG_1294

Left to right are WK; then Paul Stack, a manufacturers rep (Stack Marketing Services) for industrial valves and fittings; then Dave Frucella, insurance sales (AmericaQuote.com); and Chuck Robbins, owner of aro, a marketing and public relations consulting firm in Charlotte.

It dawned on me as I was preparing this meal for the guys that I have done this before. When in grad school at the University of Alabama ('70-'72), I got involved with Campus Crusade for Christ on campus, through which I met some undergrad guys. Somehow we began having a regular early morning Bible study/prayer meeting at the small cottage I rented just off campus, and I would fix breakfast for the whole group: usually scrambled eggs, bacon, juice, bread of some sort. It was a huge undertaking in a tiny kitchen, but really added to the fellowship portion of our meetings. I even raised money from a local Christian businessman who I cold-called to help pay for the food we were consuming. I think he donated $25 or so, which bought a lot of food in the early Seventies. He even came to one of our meetings just to see if we were legit. I even remember what we discussed that day -- modesty (or the lack thereof) in dress among the Christian "sistren" on campus. I remember the look on his face -- probably not what was usually discussed in his local Baptist church Sunday school class. But he was a nice man and left convinced that his money was not being ill-spent.

Somehow I always seem to end up in the kitchen, voluntarily so. My mom was the same way -- I guess I swam often in that corner of the gene pool growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment