Monday, April 28, 2008

O Death, Where Is Thy Sting?

Photos from the memorial celebration of the life of Cheryl Burton held at the Burtons' home in Loganville, Georgia, April 27, 2008.

I have known the Burtons since 1980 -- they were members of the first church in Stone Mountain, GA, where I served as associate pastor. Great, good, and godly folks -- I always looked to the Burtons as a model of integrating family and ministry in a remarkable way.
Not perfect, just inspiring. When I first met the Burtons, they were active lay folks in our church -- Dan a homebuilder. Five years later, I was out of pastoral ministry and Dan was on the verge of becoming a pastor! I became a pastor by going to seminary; Dan and Cheryl were called into pastoral ministry because of their gifts -- the way it should be.

Hundreds of people came on a damp day to celebrate Cheryl's impact on their life. She had battled breast cancer courageously for several years, eyes fixed on Jesus the whole time.

For the moment, here are a few pix. Meant to take more, but spent most of the time chatting with familiar folks I had known during the years we lived in Atlanta. I don't know of another residential property that has impacted more lives than the Burtons' acres. The large yard that Cheryl oversaw for decades now was the site for hundreds who came to say "Thanks:"

IMG_1298

IMG_1306

When I turned onto Rosebud, then Brushy Fork, then Old Loganville Road, I felt like I was on auto-pilot:

IMG_1300

Dan, Cheryl's husband and pastor, had the difficult task of welcoming friends to a final meeting with his best friend:

IMG_1302

Lots of worship of Him, as Dan said, "to whom praise is due:"

IMG_1307

Dan praising God in the face of inestimable loss:

IMG_1304

It was standing room only, and the rain deterred no one:

IMG_1312

Dan and Cheryl's four children (left to right) -- Evan, Christi, Andrew, Heather -- read a beautiful eulogy, a sweeping overview of God's hand revealed in their mom's life and ministry:

KidsCropped

As Dan said, if everyone who had a story to tell about Cheryl's impact on their life were to speak, we'd have been there "'til next week." So Dan asked good friends, Ray and Sue Dillon (whose son Chris is married to the Burtons' Christi), to share a remarkable story about a mission trip to the island of Grenada and how Cheryl organized an impromptu ministry to a school-full of children:

IMG_1311

Old friends -- I regret not taking pictures of all the old friends I saw. Here are the Dillons plus Karen and Larry Satchwell and their daughter Nicky (grammar-school age the last time I saw here -- and Nicky's baby). Too many stories to tell about my relationship with these friends and others that were there:

IMG_1314

Dan Burton -- retired Navy reserve commander, homebuilder, church planter, pastor, joker, loud laugher, loving husband, and faithful friend -- now beginning a new chapter of his own journey with Jesus:

IMG_1315

IMG_1317

To Atlanta and back in one day was a long drive, but I wouldn't have missed saying good-bye to a dear friend. Prior to going, I had read an interview with Dr. Howard Hendricks on the subject of legacy. The words seem apropos for the life and legacy of Cheryl Burton -- a few excerpts:
"I think one has to make some permanent difference in the lives of people. We're so involved in activities and organizations that we forget the individual. I think the change that one makes in the lives of other people is the thing that delights the heart of God . . . . I do not think that celebrity is in any way Christian. Celebrity is something that is attached to you by people. A legacy is something that God produces in your life. He uses you but you're not the center of the activity . . . . When you are talking about a person who leaves a legacy, no one can ever question the impact of it. He or she may not know the true impact. But God does. And it remains permanently. . . . I am absolutely convinced that [character is] what constitutes the ultimate legacy. And I think you and I see it with people we love and respect. Behind the scenes there is that consistency, that pattern. That demonstrates their life is one of reality. It's not something put on. It's not about them. It's all about God. And to me that's the heart of leaving a legacy. Do they remember you? Or do they remember the God that you believed in and served." (Dallas Connection: Alumni News from Dallas Theological Seminary, Spring 2008, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 1-2)
Going to memorial services and funerals is a good thing. It reminds us that, "Everyone has to die once, then face the consequences" (Hebrews 9:27, The Message).

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I recognized the names of many people there, if not their faces. Glad you could be there to remember Cheryl and support the rest of the Burtons.

    ReplyDelete