Tuesday, April 27, 2010

South River Miso

I have written before ("Miso Happy") about South River Miso in Conway, Massachusetts -- a very small company that carefully hand-makes, in Japanese tradition, fine miso. (I was talking with a health/fitness consultant recently who is extremely knowledgeable about healthy foods, and discovered she buys her miso from South River as well.) South River is so careful about their miso that they don't ship during the hot summer months for fear of the heat harming the living bacteria in the miso. So I ordered enough recently to get me through the summer.

In case the print is too small in the picture, left to right is Dandelion Leek, Chickpea, Sweet White, and Three Year Barley misos, and a small jug of their own miso tamari -- the richest "soy sauce" I've ever tasted. There are other flavors of miso available. Any of the flavors make a delicious hot "tea" -- a spoonful of miso in a cup of "hot" (≈140 degrees or so; not boiling!) water, and add valuable flora to the digestive track. An order from South River is accompanied by a recipe/information book about miso and its uses (recipes, etc.).

IMG_2316

3 comments:

  1. Yum. I'd like to try some of that--maybe this weekend. I've actually never tried miso soup! I've put it in other soups with pasta and beans but never had it alone. love, jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....you eat sushi?
    is the miso tamari a suitable alternative to
    the soy sauce? SS has way too much sodium--
    I think.

    Is a vegan 100% no meats? which would mean
    no fish?

    Thanks and enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, surfsalterpath.

    Yes, vegan means no meat of any kind (including fish) -- a plant-based diet -- so no, I don't eat sushi. There are some "sushi" vegetable rolls that vegans eat, but they contain no fish -- only rice and seaweed wraps, etc.

    Yes, miso tamari can be used in place of soy sauce. I don't know how much sodium is in the South River Tamari. Like you, I try to eat very little sodium, so don't use the tamari very often -- only for slight flavoring occasionally.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete