Thursday, September 4, 2008

"Like a Moose Going After a Cabbage"

The title and link above are from the UK's Times article on the atmosphere in a local bar in Sarah Palin's Alaska hometown, where the locals had gathered to watch the guv's acceptance speech last night. The Brits, who love political theatre (note the spelling) better than anyone, are wildly taken with the rabid support for Sarah Palin.

Last night was one of the most entertaining evenings I've spent in a long time, watching the speeches of Huckabee, Juliani (who lit the place up), and then Palin. I said "entertaining" -- my interest in watching these events (as I did the Dem. convention) is to enjoy the theater and drama. And there was plenty of it last night. The energy in the Republican hall last night made the Democratic meetings look tame by comparison, Greek columns and rock stars notwithstanding.

I'm posting the five parts of Palin's speech for those who may have missed it and are interested. If you don't know all the players' faces (her family and other VIPs in the audience) you'll lose out on some of the enjoyment -- watch especially for the pixie-like youngest daughter of Palin -- too cute. Regardless of who wins this election, something historical is going to happen: either the first black President or the first female Vice-President. It's worth paying attention to both sides for that reason alone. (And should McCain win and decide not to run in 2012, we'll likely see Clinton vs. Palin -- now that would be some theatre!)

NOTE: I repeat -- I'm posting these videos purely for the enjoyment of political theater (which I found so much more entertaining than the Dem. convention -- that's why I didn't post videos from theirs). Since I'm not posting my political opinions, I'd appreciate not hearing yours. (Ah, the privilege of owning the blog!) Let's save that for another venue. Just sit back and watch the entertaining political process at work, warts and all (a process that would have been considered tame and subdued by the founding fathers):

Part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


Part 4:


Part 5:

No comments:

Post a Comment