Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Eco-Bags

Finally decided to stop contributing to the waste of paper grocery bags and get some permanent canvas tote-bags to take to the store. I never get plastic bags, and recycle both the paper and occasional plastic ones I come home with. But still was not happy with the process. The plastic glut in landfills goes without saying, but the amount of trees cut down to make paper bags isn't much of an alternative. Besides, my friendly EarthFare grocery store is exploring plans to begin charging shoppers for paper and plastic bags -- even the thin film plastic bags in the produce section. (EarthFare is always trying new ways to encourage customers to shop elsewhere.)

Found these bags at EcoBags.com, where they have a large selection. The canvas and straps are a lighter weight than I would have wanted, but I'll give them a try:

IMG_0764

IMG_0765

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of canvas!

    Here in France, it's been the norm to bring your own shopping bag/basket/box or be charged for a plastic shopping bag. (Paper isn't an option.) I rarely see anyone w/o having to buy a bag. By the way, we bag our own groceries here, too.

    There's a health food store in San Diego that gives you five cents off every time you bring in your own (well, their store's) shopping bag. I like that even better.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool bags, dad. Whole Foods gives you a $.05 refund every time you don't use a bag whether you carry the food in your arms or bring a tote. I've been using a tote for the last year or so (that a Whole Foods employee gave me! one day). Hopefully lazy consumers can begin to see how wasteful it is to use a different bag every time you go to the store. Kudos on the switch!

    ReplyDelete