Friday, October 30, 2009

Beauty and the Beast



These dramatic images belong to photographer Mitchell Feinberg who took them for The New York Times as illustrations for an article titled "Against Meat—The Fruit of Family Trees" by novelist (Everything Is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) Jonathan Safran Foer. The article is adapted from his forthcoming non-fiction book, Eating Animals, due out in November. The book is a chronicle of Foer's family's transition to a vegan lifestyle vis-a-vis a fresh look at the factory farming industry in America. If I get yelled at for using the pics without permission, I'll take them down. They are such a stark illustration of the contrast between the best and worst of food that I was compelled to post them.

When I consumed meat I rarely (never?) thought of the meat on my plate as being a slaughtered animal; never thought of leg of lamb as being the leg of a lamb. But it is. A chicken breast is the breast of a chicken. And so on. Sometimes the pictures, which we tend to shy away from, are worth a thousand words.

2 comments:

  1. I almost posted a link to this exact article the other night but got side tracked. Just like the author, I often question why more people aren't outraged by factory farming. How do they just ignore that when eating it?
    The pictures are a nice illustration that I hadn't seen.

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the "out of sight, out of mind" phenomenon. Like Paul McCartney has said, "If slaughterhouses were made of glass there would be a lot more vegetarians."

    ReplyDelete