Saturday, August 1, 2009

Saturday Bike Ride

Joined the 9:00 a.m. group from my local bike shop this morning for a 58-mile ride. I went on this ride because it averages a slower speed (17-18 mph) than the 7:00 a.m. group (20-22 mph). But, of course, there were a half dozen in our group of 20 that should have been in the 7:00 a.m. group -- very fast! I was among the last to finish, of course, but glad for the marginal success. Riding in a group is a different experience than riding alone which is why I'm venturing out and trying to learn the rules of the road: "Clear!" "Car back!" -- along with pointing out potholes, taking a turn pulling at the front of the line, etc. Fortunately, it's a "no drop" ride meaning everyone stops and regroups every 10-12 miles, providing a few minutes of rest each time. Very thankful for that.

This is Richard Moody, the leader of the weekly ride and a shorter Tuesday evening ride as well (didn't get the young lady's name -- she was parked near me so I told her to get in the pic):

IMG_1648

Richard's son, Mitch -- 15 years old, 115 pounds -- was on the ride. Looks like Alberto Contador (winner of this year's Tour de France) when he rides -- he led the fast group all day, just floated up the hills. Amazing kid who has his USA Cycling license and is beginning to race in his age group. Wouldn't be surprised to hear of him again some day.

After the ride Richard and I were talking -- related how I hadn't been able to finish my birthday ride earlier in the year (61 miles) due to a crash. Since we had done 58 today he rounded up his son, Mitch, and a couple other riders and made us go for a three-mile spin around downtown Matthews so I could have a 61-mile ride in the books for this year's birthday. Nice guy!

While recovering at home I sliced up my extra tomatoes to put in the dehydrator. I'll freeze the dehydrated slices and use them this winter in hummus, pasta sauce, and crumbled up in salads. The flavor is so intense when they're dried as the sugar in the slices gets concentrated in the absence of water/juice. I love the colors of these different slices. Can you believe the depth of the reds in these vine-ripe tomatoes compared to the anemic colors of the average "store bought" red tomato?

IMG_1649

The green slices on this tray aren't unripe tomatoes. They're fully ripe -- a green variety of tomato. There are so many varieties available to be grown but which never show up in "the store."

IMG_1650

4 comments:

  1. How sweet...What a nice story. Congrats on finishing the 61 mile birthday ride.

    The tomatoes are beautiful. I know what you mean about all the colors. I love that about preparing and growing veggies.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen. Your pics of the bowls of veggies -- purples, greens, yellows, and everything in between -- are a treat for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yay," never too late to finish the race...61 miles, that's awesome! Quite a tomato farmer, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Prisc -- most of the 'maters (especially the colored ones) were from the CSA share, grown by Sammy K. Wish I could take credit, but my tomatoes aren't that robust.

    ReplyDelete