Saturday, May 16, 2009

WolframAlpha

I was blown away by the new WolframAlpha search engine. It's totally different from any other -- it is taking all the world's knowledge and putting it in retrievable form in formats that have to be seen to be believed. Go to the home page and click on "Watch Overview Video" in the right-hand column -- and don't let your jaw hit the floor. Anyone who does research on ANY TOPIC will make this a go to engine.

For instance -- I've always wanted to know the complete nutritional breakdown of the smoothie I make for lunch most days. When I tried entering all the things I put in the smoothie (about a dozen) I exceeded the limit of the engine. So I just put three to try it out: 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, half a banana, and 1 tbsp. blueberries. Here's what it returned -- pretty amazing: (I only wish it would let me enter all the elements.)

smoothie

1 comment:

  1. It's definitely a very useful tool, but some people are mistakenly comparing it to search engines like Google. They're very different.

    ReplyDelete