Friday, May 1, 2009

Good Samaritan

When I crashed on my bike last Sunday, a good Samaritan named David Huneycutt, also a bike rider, was one of the first to come to my aid: (David rides a carbon Orbea Orca -- a primo ride.)

IMG_1403

David is a former EMT and an orthopedic surgery consultant to surgeons—so he was the right man at the right place at the right time. He checked me out before the other EMTs arrived and made sure I was okay. He also took my bike home with him for safekeeping and brought it by today. I'm very grateful for David's concern (and for his family sitting in the hot sun in their car while he waited until the ambulance arrived). There were lots of other Union County neighbors who stopped on the busy road as well -- many thanks to them all. One, the owner of a popular local restaurant, gave me his card and told me to come by for a free meal. How nice!

I checked the bike computer -- it had stopped at 55.7 miles. Less than six miles to go on my 61-mile birthday ride. So close! I'll have to do it all over now for the record.

Thanks again to David and my Union County neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment