Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Great Innovation

"They" often say that the best ideas are the simplest ideas. I've found something that seems to verify that observation. You may already be using this product, but I like it so much that I want to pass the word on.

At least two paper towel producers (there may be more) that I have found are now producing standard rolls of kitchen-type paper towels with a twist. Instead of the standard-size large sheets that you tear off the roll, that standard sheet now has an additional perforation in the middle of the sheet, allowing you to tear off only HALF a standard sheet instead of a whole sheet. I have found that the VAST majority of times I need a paper towel in the kitchen or bathroom, a half-sheet does just fine. If I use a half sheet instead of a large sheet, I use half as much paper (trees) and the rolls last twice as long. What amazes me is that these companies have been willing to introduce this innovation at the risk of reducing the sale of rolls of paper towels since a roll now lasts longer. (I may be missing something there -- let me know if you see it.)

The two brands I've found that are putting in the extra perforation in the standard size sheets are Brawny and Bounty. Look on the outside of the packaging: You'll see a feature advertised like "Pick-a-Size" or "Select-a-Size" for the ones with this feature.

So now instead of being limited to one or more standard sizes of sheets, you can tear off sheets in multiples of half-sizes. For me, a half-sheet accomplishes almost everything I need. Very cool idea.

Delicious Bookmark this post on Delicious

2 comments:

  1. Wow Dad... I hate to be the one to break it to you but that has been around for quite a few years now. However, I do apologize for not bringing it to your attention sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Well, I never said I get out and about that much! I guess I need to pay closer attention. Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete