Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wheatgrass Revival

For a reason I can't now remember, I stopped growing new wheatgrass a month or so ago. When I started a new batch last week I decided to use the "industry standard" growing trays instead of the cafeteria trays that my wheatgrass mentor showed me how to use. The result is, for whatever reason, some of the best wheatgrass I've grown. (I continue to water my grass with Ocean Grown Solution.) And best of all, there are no signs of mold around the roots -- a standard headache for wheatgrass growers. Not sure what the difference is. These are two I'm aware of: deeper soil beds since these trays are deeper than cafeteria trays, and watering from the top down instead of the bottom up. If a wheatgrass expert stumbles on this post and can comment, I'd appreciate the input.

Besides being healthful, wheatgrass has to be one of the most beautiful in-house "plants" to look at:

IMG_0481

IMG_0480

Here's a picture of the root area just after cutting this morning showing no signs of mold:

IMG_0479

I put the bird/squirrel seeds in a tray hoping to keep the wind from spreading them into the garden beds. So far I haven't seen a single bird at the tray -- the new color/shape may be making them wary. The squirrels, of course, could care less about the container:

IMG_0478

Finally, the glorious sunflower had his face turned full toward the sun this morning. I now count nine buds on this one plant. It's amazing how the botanical parts of God's creation turn to the sun every morning to soak in the life-giving energy:

IMG_0483

No comments:

Post a Comment