Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Get the Garlic and Lime

I have buried scores of avocado pits (seeds) in the soil in my front garden beds in recent years. Since they break down much more slowly than veggie and fruit scraps, I am continually unearthing them as I bury new scraps. Of late, I have found several pits that have split and sprouted. Knowing that avocados are not native to North Carolina and might not survive, I've been trying to baby these along the last few days to see what happens.

This one is a bit out of focus -- it's the brown vertical stem with the green at the top:

IMG_0473

This one is a bit fuzzy also -- the stem has already sent out a shoot off to the side:

IMG_0475

This one is a bit harder to see -- look for the green stem leaning to the left. To the right you can actually see the pit that has cracked open allowing the root and stem to emerge. I didn't even notice the seed was lying above ground until I saw these pictures. I'll cover it up tomorrow:

IMG_0476

I'm not rushing out to buy chips just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment