Monday, November 9, 2009

Is Jail in My Future?

I wonder how many Americans realize that the House version of the health care bill (passed by the House on Saturday) criminalizes non-compliance. That is, the penalty for not participating in the government-run health care program, or not paying the penalty for non-participation on your income taxes (2.5 percent of your gross income) is a fine up to $250,000 and/or up to five years in jail.

By choice I don't have health insurance, but I'm about to be forced to or pay a huge penalty on my taxes. If I refuse to pay the penalty I could be fined or go to jail. Time will tell if this provision remains in whatever version of a health care bill is passed. (The Senate took the criminalization clause out of their earlier versions, but the House left it in their bill passed last Saturday.)

Rep. Jeff Sessions (R, Texas) reads the criminalization clause in the House bill in recent debate:

1 comment:

  1. Well, if you're going to jail...move over :D!

    ReplyDelete