Saturday, April 11, 2009

Seed Starts

Better late than never, I guess. Decided to use one of my Winstrip trays to see what I could start in the way of a variety of seeds. Used a good organic potting soil (with vermiculite added -- the white specks) and added some finely ground alfalfa meal for nitrogen and kelp for minerals:

IMG_1357


Under the grow light with my heating pad underneath to gradually warm up the soil and seeds:

IMG_1358


Here's what I planted (after I had taken the picture I wrote down LK = lacinato kale and SK = Siberian kale):

IMG_1356

The ginkgo, pomegranate, cherry, and persimmon were seeds I saved from fruit from trees in my parents' yard in Decatur, Alabama, when we sold their house. I don't have great expectations for these, but we'll see. The Brandywine (heirloom) tomato seeds were from a huge tomato from a plant I had a couple of summers ago. The chard, beets, and kale are new seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment