Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hanging Gardens of Stallings

King Nebuchadnezzar's Hanging Gardens of Babylon were one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. The Hanging Gardens of Stallings aren't quite up to his standards, but they're a start. Because I have such limited ground space in the front yard I decided to try a growing method I've read about: growing plants in hanging buckets, upside down. Yes, it works -- not sure if mine will work, but I rigged up five buckets this afternoon (need to get one additional bucket for the sixth hook). In the five are a cherry tomato, a banana pepper, a bell pepper, a tomato, and a parsley. I originally planned to hang the buckets higher, hanging directly on the hooks, but discovered they had to hang lower in order to avoid the shade of the porch overhang. If they grow and the leaves proliferate downward I'll gradually raise the height of the buckets. Problems? High winds and grass fiber string rotting. (Need to replace string with some small chains if I can.) I used some food-grade plastic liners to line the non-food-grade buckets to protect against chemical leaching. (Not pictured are a half dozen other tomatoes and three eggplant plants that I put in the side yard where the avo trees were planted.)

I have to admit I'm not wild about the way these look -- "buckets" hanging off the front porch of my house. I think it's the string and the fact that the plants are so small at present -- so they just look like buckets. Hopefully, when the plants get bigger the look will change. Ideas welcome!

IMG_1359

IMG_1361

IMG_1360

IMG_1362

4 comments:

  1. Hey there, my friend...

    Those are some pretty cool buckets you have there! The cord is barely visable...I'm thinkin', if it is capable of bearing the weight, it may serve the purpose just fine. It may be a little quieter, too. Late last night, when the winds kicked up here in the canyon, I could hear a neighbors chains creaking in the wind. Just a thought :-)

    Blessings on your day...Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Just thinkin'...as relates to the wind, could you also wrap cord, a couple times, around the section of the bucket where the handle attaches, tie it to the connecting point on each side, then stretch the cord to a anchor on the ground? That would also create another place to wrap the vines as they grow. Wish I could draw a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done this several times but used large hanging wire baskets. I would line them with wet spagnum moss & added cascading plants like peutunias or million bells to help with the looks. I've acturally purchased the bad that is made for this & it works great. It has a design that is very smart. It adds a sponge ring about the middle of the planting medium to help with moisture retention. Be sure you have bore holes in the botton for drainage. Grape tomatoes and the any small salad tomatoes worked the best for me. You can also drill holes in the sides just large enough to slide some begonias in. They work great planted sideways to camouflage the sides.It is fun to watch them try to grow upright. The weight of the tomatoes will pull them down. Good Luck.Martha Newman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priscilla and Martha -- Thanks for the ideas and inspiration! "More" minds are always better than one -- better than my one, anyway.

    ReplyDelete