Monday, August 11, 2008

Best Relay Race in History

I'll try to find a YouTube video to post tomorrow, but if you missed the last race of the night on tonight's Olympic broadcast, you missed what everyone is saying is the best swim relay in history.

It was the men's 400 meter freestyle relay. Michael Phelps was on the team and they needed to win gold for him to keep alive his hopes of winning a record eight gold medals in one Olympics -- but the French team was favored to win. The French, in fact, had said they were going to "smash" the American team: "It's what we came here to do." Phelps swam the first leg and gave the Americans the lead, but it evaporated in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th leg -- until about 15 meters to go. The American swimmer had been gaining on the French guy slowly over the last 25 meters, drew even in the last 5, then out-touched him by .08 of a second, setting a new world and Olympic record.

It was amazing! The neighbors probably wondered what all the yelling was about I was yelling so hard, and crying when they won. And Phelps and the other guys went nuts on the deck. I'm sure someone will put this on YouTube and I'll try to post it tomorrow. (To watch videos on the NBC Olympics web site with a Mac, you have to have an Intel-based Mac -- how ridiculous is that?)

Here are the winners -- Phelps is on the left and the guy that saved the day on the fourth leg is on the right:

Relay Team-jade

1 comment:

  1. Hey there...

    Forget about the neighbors, I heard you yelling and cheering in Santa Barbara...or maybe that was my neighbor (smile). You're right, I watched it last night and it was awesome. Think I'll go watch it again...on my little, old, Intel-based Gateway (smile).

    Have a Blessed day, mi amigo, in Jesus name I pray...Priscilla

    ReplyDelete