Saturday, July 19, 2008

Last and Lost (As Usual)

There is an annual bike ride from Charlotte to the NC beach every year in support of Multiple Sclerosis research. (I think it may be nationwide -- rides held in lots of places.) It's around 150 miles, taking two days, and is fully supported with road crews and support stations along the way.

In anticipation of that annual big ride (which I'm not doing), there are weekend training rides held in the weeks leading to the MS Ride to the Beach -- one of which was today. I attended the one today -- a 62-mile ride held about an hour east of Charlotte (an hour from my house). There were around 100 riders who participated. It started at 8:00 a.m and I arrived just as the group was getting final instructions and heading off. So I was at the end of the bunch from the beginning and gradually got further behind. I missed several of the road markers and managed to get totally disconnected from the group and lost. Ended up in a small town I was unfamiliar with, bought a map at a convenience store and got some directions from a couple of good old boys who were hanging out, solving the problems of the world. I eventually made my way back to the elementary school which was the staging area for the ride, working my way through a series of small towns east of Charlotte.

By the time I got back (only a few cars left in the parking lot) I had covered 59 miles so I missed the full 62 mile ride by just a few. But it was a good experience -- you learn something every time you step outside life's safe zones -- and I got a colorful jersey for making a contribution to the MS Race cause. So that was a nice "been there, got the jersey" surprise. (Update: tried the jersey on and it's way too small. It's yours if you want it.)

Another "frustrating" day on the bike -- but I'll keep at it. I don't want to win -- but I do want to get better. And doing these group rides is one way to measure one's own progress against those who are much better. My goal is to be able to keep up and gain the aerodynamic advantage of riding with the group. When you're riding in a group, the experts say you gain a 25-30% advantage over riding alone (where I usually ride) in terms of reduced energy consumption -- higher speed while burning less energy.

So -- another of life's disappointing moments, but every reason to work harder and smarter for the next opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I am seriously impressed with the fact that you rode 59 miles! If I were in the race you would have come in second to last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz. I actually forgot to mention that I wasn't dead last. A few guys rolled in after me, but they had ridden the full 62 miles -- so I guess we were about even. Did 40 more miles the next day to keep from getting stiff after that long ride. My worst moment was shortly after starting -- getting passed by a guy and girl on a tandem bike -- going uphill. Humiliating. :-)

    ReplyDelete